Links
101 Cookbooks
Orangette
The Food Network
Epicurious
King Arthur recipes
Seattlest
The Wednesday Chef
Wednesday, August 24, 2005

The perfect dish for a sunny summer day . . .
Mmm, my mouth is still tingling with refreshing and garlicky goodness, so I have to write while I am still feeling inspired. Today in Portland was HOT, and it was also a day of many errands for me. I ran around like a madwoman, sanded and varnished furniture, washed my car, picked blackberries, went to Freddy's about 14 times, and the list goes on. All of the things I did simply reeked of summer, but also left me feeling hot and tired at the end of the day--I needed make something light and delicious for dinner. Then a small light bulb went on in my head as I remembered through the murky past yet another recipe from my lovely Italian roommates--except that in this case, I had only tried the recipe on my own one time, four years ago, to miserably failed results.

But now I was ready for another try. So I went and got some arborio rice and a lemon, and I was set to make some delicious cold rice salad. Now, let's pause a moment and just get this straight, arborio rice, alright? No substitutes! Remember how I said that my first attempt at this recipe was a miserable disaster? Yeah, well, that is the result of rice substitution, a nasty habit that I will avoid from now on, since the arborio results tonight were simply delightful.


here's what you'll need:

A couple tablespoons chopped onion
1 cup arborio rice
A refrigerator
3 small tomatoes, minus the juice and seeds, chopped
Large handful of basil leaves, chopped up
Handful of sunflower seeds
2 tablespoons finely chopped scallions
1 clove garlic, minced very small
1 lemon
olive oil
salt
sugar
parmesan

So keep in mind, this is a salad--like any salad, the ingredients are not set in stone, and nor are there relative ratios. So make this to your own taste--the amounts above are what I started with, but I didn't use all of everything--for example, I had some tomatoes left at the end--the garlic, especially, use with caution, a thing I failed to do, which is fine by me, but probably not so great for most people's palettes.

To start: Sauté the chopped onion in a bit of olive oil for a minute or two, then add the rice, and keep sautéing a couple minutes, until slightly browned. Add 2 cups of water, stir, cover, and cook for however long it takes (sorry folks, I have no idea how long that is) take the rice off when the water has been absorbed and the rice is still a little chewy. Now throw the whole thing in the fridge for an hour or so to cool down.

Meanwhile, assemble the other ingredients: Chop the tomatoes in half, squeeze out the seeds and juice, dice, and leave in a colander to drain (the less liquid the better, unless you want a soggy mess instead of a salad). Chop the basil. Chop the scallions. Chop the garlic. Gather the sunflower seeds. Now make a dressing out of the juice of one lemon, half that volume in olive oil, a large pinch of salt, and a pinch of sugar. Get out the parmesan. Set everything aside until the rice is cool.

Once the rice is cool: Add the ingredients to your own taste, giving the salad a good stir after each ingredient. Save the dressing for second to last though (add just a little of that at a time, and test, as a little goes a long way). Salt to taste, then stir in some grated or canned parmesan, and you are ready for a lovely Italian summer salad. It sounds complicated, but believe me it's not--and if you want to simplify, the only essential ingredients are the tomatoes, basil, salt, and the lemon/olive oil dressing. Enjoy!

posted by Erin at 7:56 PM;



2 Comments:
Blogger shan said...

Erin, this looks fantastic! I can't wait to try it. I wonder how it would be with (tun tun tun)...arugula! =)

9:34 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

Shan, be my guest and try it with arugula, just don't ask me to eat any!!

Hee hee.

11:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Recent
A note about comments
Mmmm . . . T-t-t-tuna!
Weekend update
Behold the power of cheese
Ode to the onion
Monday Night Dinners
Behold!

Archives
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
November 2005
December 2005
February 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
October 2006
July 2009

Powered by Blogger