Links
101 Cookbooks
Orangette
The Food Network
Epicurious
King Arthur recipes
Seattlest
The Wednesday Chef
Sunday, September 25, 2005

airing out
Last week, I heard this story on NPR about a new book on hamburgers. I thought about hamburgers for a whole week after I listened to the author discuss the regional peculiarities of this fine food. For example, there are places in Louisiana where they make something called a "doughburger," which basically amounts to bread dough and hamburger fried in the usual manner and then placed between more bread. That was less appetizing than the place in Kansas where they carmelize onions in a frying pan before pressing the beef on top of the onions and squishing down until a pancake-like patty is laced with curly bits of sweet onions.

The latter was my inspiration for last night's dinner. I was supposed to go to a "Balkan bluegrass" concert in San Francisco with Emily, but she had too much homework and had to cancel. So I was at loose ends and decided it was my chance to eat a bunch of meat and watch television.

I went to the market and bought a pound of chuck, which I asked the butcher to grind, and some big fluffy hamburger buns. I only used half a pound of the chuck, ultimately, but the rest is in the freezer and will be excellent for something.

I chopped half a yellow onion and sauteed until translucent. Turned off the heat and put the onions into a bowl with the chuck. Sprinkled all with salt and pepper and mixed it up. Formed a ball with the contents of said bowl and then flattened.

Turned the heat back on underneath the pan I used for sauteing the onions. No need to add more oil. Placed hamburger in pan and set it to fry. Cooking took about 15 minutes, whilst I toasted my hamburger bun and mixed mayonnaise with ketchup and Worcestershite sauce. I also sliced some small tomatoes. (I view lettuce as a major interferance on sandwiches of any kind.)

I assembled my hamburger with tomatoes and the aforementioned sauce on both sides of the bun. Then, I turned on the third disc of the fourth season of Six Feet Under (just acquired from Netflix) and savored it all.

I should have opened the windows while cooking--my apartment filled with the thick smell of crispy onions and meat--and I had to open them while I watched TV for the rest of the evening. Anyone passing my apartment must have thought my choice of entertainment (discussion of bodies, embalming, and so on) to be rather macabre, but so it is.

posted by Robin at 8:55 AM;



6 Comments:
Blogger shan said...

Robin, this sounds great! It might even be enough to persuade a scaredy-cat like me to try cooking meat. =)

I could not agree more with you about the lettuce issue.

2:43 PM  
Blogger lauren said...

But what about BLTs?

5:41 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

Sacrelige! I love lettuce on my sandwiches you see . . .

11:01 PM  
Blogger shan said...

It looks like we are of two minds on this issue, girls. Katie informs me that she is a fan of the lettuce as well. And, as we all know, a house divided against itself cannot stand. A blog divided regarding lettuce is perhaps less of a problem. =)

11:11 PM  
Blogger katie said...

Yes, yes, I'm very pro-lettuce. It's so nice and fresh and crisp in the middle.

12:59 AM  
Blogger Robin said...

I would take a BT over a BLT any day. Actually, a BAT (bacon, avocado, and tomato) is my vast preference, but not always a possibility.

Meanwhile, I love lettuce in salad, but its function in a sandwich has always escaped me. Also, it sticks to the roof of my mouth.

10:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Recent
Part II: Souper duper
Gruyère, we salute you!
Sister act
OMG
I heart spinach
The perfect dish for a sunny summer day . . .
A note about comments
Mmmm . . . T-t-t-tuna!
Weekend update
Behold the power of cheese

Archives
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
November 2005
December 2005
February 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
October 2006
July 2009

Powered by Blogger