Links
101 Cookbooks
Orangette
The Food Network
Epicurious
King Arthur recipes
Seattlest
The Wednesday Chef
Sunday, August 06, 2006

vine ripened
I am in a produce frenzy. My vacation to the Yucatan was a lovely reprieve from regular life, but I sorely missed filling my refrigerator with the spoils from my Sunday morning visits to the market down the street. When I returned, summer fruit had reached its peak. My first weekend home I made up for two weeks without nectarines, plums and peaches with heavy purchases of all three on trips to two separate markets.

A favorite stand at the market also boasted little melons, just the right size to tuck under one's arm for an awkward walk home with two canvas bags slung over both shoulders. The farmer said it was too early in the season for him to look at the rind and tell me if my melon was red or yellow on the inside. This one turned out to be red. I ate half of it with a spoon straight from the rind and froze the other half for granita, the perfect relief on a 100 degree day.

For days it was too hot to cook anything. After a market visit a few Sundays ago, I dumped these green beans on the counter and just ate them raw, listlessly passing by the pile ever few hours until they were gone. Subsequent green bean purchases have been steamed and chilled with vinaigrette and sesame dressings.

Since the temperature returned to tolerable and turning on the stove has been possible, I have been contemplating the disappearance of all this abundance. Today I marched to the farmer's market for tomatoes, garlic, basil and parsley. It's tomato sauce time.













Last summer the bumper crops of tomatoes were $.35 a pound. At $.45 this year, six pounds of luscious red tomatoes came in at just under $3. My garlic guy just took these heads off the drying rack and I commiserated at length with the man who sold me my parsley about the virtues of Italian flatleaf versus the overly peppery curly variety. The above ingredients, plus basil, white wine, olive oil, salt and pepper will simmer in the crock pot all night before I eat a little and divide the rest into small containers for freezing. Last year, I waited until November to break into this stash. We'll see how long I last this year.

posted by Robin at 9:08 PM;



1 Comments:
Blogger shan said...

Hooray, a new post, and what lovely photographs! Those tomatoes are practically purple! And even the green beans look appetizing. =)

You know, maybe I should try the curly parsley, since flat-leaf just doesn't seem to do it for me.

2:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Recent
Bye bye, Broadway
Potlucky
Pretty in pink
Pesto dreams
Girl meets steak
Etiquette question
Some things never change
How to die fat, happy and sugar-high
Spring has sprung!
To paraphrase Loretta Lynn

Archives
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
November 2005
December 2005
February 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
October 2006
July 2009

Powered by Blogger