Links
101 Cookbooks
Orangette
The Food Network
Epicurious
King Arthur recipes
Seattlest
The Wednesday Chef
Saturday, May 27, 2006

Girl meets steak

This is how we rationalized it:

1. Dad was staying at the Hotel Shan & Evgenia and didn't have to spring for two nights in a Seattle hotel.
2. I just got a job. How often do I get a job? Celebration must ensue.

It was the only way we could justify the Metropolitan Grill, a Seattle standby that's reportedly one of the best steakhouses in the country. Photographs of famous people, mostly sports figures, decorate the walls of the foyer. Even at 5:45 p.m., the place was packed with business guys in suits, trendy twentysomethings and their trendy boyfriends, and at least one father-daughter duo in search of meat and potatoes.

It took me a few minutes to get past the price tag on my filet mignon. At one point, I actually whimpered, "I think it's sinful to pay that much for a piece of meat." Not quite $10 million celebrity-wedding sinful, but still. So I made up for it by eating the whole thing: filet mignon cooked medium well, doused with herb jus and showered with cracked black pepper (Dad gave it an eight out of ten; since it was my first ever and I had no basis for comparison, I give it an eleven); garlic mashed potatoes topped with snipped chives; clam chowder with sherry cream and a swirl of Tabasco (Alison wasn't joking -- this is the best chowder I've had in Seattle or maybe anywhere); and a sloe gin fizz that had a remarkable effect despite the volume of food I'd just inhaled.

When the smoke cleared, half of Dad's potatoes and a sizable chunk of his halibut (stuffed with Dungeness crab, tomatoes, corn, and morels and lounging on a bed of asparagus spears) remained on his plate. I had done all but lick mine clean. The busboy raised his eyebrows. "I was hungry," I said defensively. "Wow," he replied, "we don't see that happen every day."

For about twenty seconds, I felt like a complete oinker.

Then I decided I was kind of proud.




(This picture is in no way related to steak, but isn't it pretty?)

posted by shan at 8:47 PM;



1 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Other Katie says:

Even as a no meat kind of girl, I am sort of in awe. I'll bet the busboy wanted you to come back for dinner sometime, his treat. Oh yes.

P.S. The mashed potatoes, as well as your dad's fish, sound delicious.

3:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Recent
Etiquette question
Some things never change
How to die fat, happy and sugar-high
Spring has sprung!
To paraphrase Loretta Lynn
Flying solo
The essential chocolate chip cookie recipe ... for...
Thankful for (a partial list)
Part II: Souper duper
Gruyère, we salute you!

Archives
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
November 2005
December 2005
February 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
July 2009

Powered by Blogger