Links
101 Cookbooks
Orangette
The Food Network
Epicurious
King Arthur recipes
Seattlest
The Wednesday Chef
Thursday, August 25, 2005

I heart spinach
And I also enjoy turning it into enchiladas. I'm not sure where I came up with the idea to make these particular things; maybe I had eaten some recently, or maybe I just had the ingredients on hand, or maybe it just sounded like something to try. Anyway, it turned out pretty well with a little tinkering, and since it's a pretty basic recipe, it's easy to add things and tailor it to your taste. So without further adieu:

Spinach enchiladas with black beans
You need:
Olive oil.
A couple of bunches or bags of spinach, whichever you prefer. More is better because it shrinks so much.
A 1/2 cup to a cup of mushrooms. White work fine; I prefer the brown ones.
A couple cloves of garlic.
An onion. I like Walla Walla sweets.
Some goat cheese; something like chevre, that's soft and mild, works best. The Trader Joe's crumbled goat cheese is perfect.
Tortillas. Again, I'm a Trader Joe's addict, so I like the smaller-sized handmade flour ones.

Start by washing all your spinach and dumping it in a big pan with some olive oil, salt and pepper. I don't chop mine for this recipe, because it shrinks so much I don't usually find it necessary. It cooks quickly, so don't start cooking it just yet.

Chop up your onions and garlic and saute them with olive oil and salt in a separate pan. I don't add much seasoning to this other than salt and pepper, so those are sort of key. But it's kind of a blank slate, so you could add any spice you think would go well. Chop up your mushrooms and toss them in with the onion and garlic. After the mushrooms begin to cook, start sauteing your spinach.

You'll notice that this quantity of spinach releases a ton of liquid. When it's shrunk down and is stewing in a lot of juice, take it to the sink and drain it. Squeeze out the extra liquid with the back of a spoon. Then put it back on the stove and add your onions, garlic and mushrooms. Cook it all a bit longer and then give it a good stir to make sure everything's evenly distributed.

Next, roll some of your veggies in the tortillas with the goat cheese. Since I put the cheese inside the enchiladas, I didn't top them with anything. That worked out fine for me, but I'm sure they'd be good with some cheese or sauce on top. Bake them at 350 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes; you want the tortillas to crisp up a bit but not get crunchy. I usually end up with 6 or 8 enchiladas.

While the enchiladas are baking, I heat up a can or two (I aim for leftovers) of black beans on the stove, seasoned with some cumin, coriander, sugar and a little goat cheese for creaminess. I'd been making big pans of beans with tomatoes, mushrooms, onions, garlic, peppers and cumin, chili powder and hot sauce for so long that I'd forgotten how good they can taste when left mostly alone. They make an excellent side dish for the enchiladas, especially when topped with a bit of sour cream, and together the two things will feed me for a few days. Always good.

I recommend eating something chocolate afterward. Just for the heck of it.

posted by Katie at 4:08 PM;



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Recent
A note about comments
Weekend update
Behold the power of cheese
Ode to the onion
Behold!

Archives
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
November 2005
December 2005
February 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
July 2009

Powered by Blogger